The Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance (Reservoir Alliance, or Alliance) incorporated in 2005 by a few concerned citizens. We have since been working to save the Reservoir’s lake, meadow, and woods from destruction and misuse. The Alliance is currently a volunteer-run organization.
Our mission is to preserve the historic structures and natural resources of Jersey City Reservoir #3, establish the site as a public park and wildlife sanctuary, and promote educational and recreational opportunities at the Reservoir.
What We Do
Specifically, we work to:
- Preserve the circa 1874 Egyptian Revival stone walls and three related structures of Reservoir #3
- Establish the entire Reservoir #3 site, (bounded by Central, Jefferson, Summit Avenues, and Pershing Field Park,) as a public historic and nature park, botanical sanctuary, and wildlife habitat
- Protect the lake, woods, meadows, and the entire Reservoir site from new building construction, or any use inconsistent with a passive recreation park
- Work for recognition of the site by local, state, and federal agencies
- Develop appropriate re-use of the existing structures, such as a visitor and nature education center, meeting place, and boathouse
- Develop passive non-commercial recreation with trails, lookouts, and other spaces.
- Establish and promote inclusive educational and recreational events and programs including boating, fishing, art, senior events, gardening, cleanups, historic preservation, ecology programs, and wilderness programs
- Educate the public regarding the Reservoir’s historical, cultural, aesthetic and environmental merits through tours, events, and communication media
- Secure public and private support for developing and maintaining the Reservoir as a historic site and open space resource for the public
The Alliance watches over the Reservoir – conducting tours, running school programs, boating and nature events, caretaking wildlife and cleaning up the site, and working with government. For its work to document and preserve its historic structures the Alliance received the Ted Conrad “Preservationist of the Year” Award, May 2005. After the Reservoir Park is established, we aim to act as a conservancy to monitor, protect, and enhance the site.
The Reservoir Alliance has been featured in the New York Times, Jersey Journal, Jersey City Reporter, Hudson County Talking, Talking Politics, Channel 12 News, Urban Times, and Star Ledger
Current Board Members
Our board members are all volunteers that put in extra duties or pro-bono expertise to support the organization, and are our primary fundraisers. If you’re interested in joining the board, please refer to our volunteer page and reach out! Board meetings are open to public attendance and are typically the 4th Monday of the month at 7pm. Contact us here for location information and accessibility needs, if any.
- Sarah Burroughs (President)
- Mary DeVine (Vice President),
- Herman Hong (Treasurer)
- Gabriel Cummings (Secretary)
- Cynthia Hadjiyannis
- Zeenat Insaf
- Heather Johnston
- Arati Patel
- Heather Sporn